RULE 1: INTRODUCTION AND GENERAL PROVISIONS
The Budding Value Investor Award is a global investment research competition organised for undergraduate students. The competition consists of two stages. The first stage is a written essay and an investment research, and then in the second stage, finalists will be presenting their findings to a panel of judges. No fees are required to enter the competition.
Capital Dynamics is the organiser of The Budding Value Investor Award. No decision by Capital Dynamics regarding the competition shall conflict with these rules and in the event of any conflict, these rules shall govern. Capital Dynamics may add additional requirements regarding the administration of the competition as long as those requirements do not conflict with these rules. Capital Dynamics is committed to creating a welcoming and safe environment for the competition where fairness, opportunity, and trust exist, allowing participants to leverage their diverse talents and perspectives.
Any questions or uncertainties pertaining to the Participating Rules of the Budding Value Investor Award should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1.1 Conflicts of Interest
All participants in the Budding Value Investor Award, including hosts, teams, team members, and judges have an obligation to avoid actual or potential conflicts of interest with their participation. A conflict of interest is any matter that could reasonably be expected to impair an individual’s independence and objectivity or interfere with an individual’s duties. A conflict may be actual or perceived.
To avoid any actual or perceived conflicts of interest, each participant must disclose to Capital Dynamics in writing of any potential conflicts. Potential conflicts of interest must be disclosed promptly upon becoming aware of the potential conflict.
Capital Dynamics will investigate any disclosures of actual or potential conflicts of interest. If a conflict of interest is found to exist and cannot be reasonably and timely cured, the individual with the conflict of interest will be disqualified from participation. If Capital Dynamics determines that it is necessary to protect the integrity of the competition, Capital Dynamics may disqualify a team from the competition if any team member is found to have a conflict of interest that is incapable of being reasonably and timely cured. The decision of Capital Dynamics regarding the existence of a conflict of interest and its determination regarding the disqualification of any individual or team are final and binding.
Plagiarism is defined as copying or using substantially the same form of materials prepared by others without acknowledging the source of the material or identifying the author and publisher of such material. Teams can read existing research on the subject company, but all analysis should be their own; they shall not copy analysis (i.e., plagiarise) from another source. Plagiarism is a serious offence. Candidates will be immediately disqualified if found plagiarising materials from icapital.biz Berhad’s website or other sources. The prohibition on plagiarism applies both to a team’s written report and the presentation.
Sourced information should be properly cited using a generally accepted citation system. Generally accepted citation systems include, but are not limited to, the Chicago Manual of Style, the Harvard referencing system, and MLA (Modern Language Association) style. Allegations of plagiarism will be investigated by Capital Dynamics. Team members found to have plagiarised will be disqualified. The decision of Capital Dynamics (as applicable) regarding plagiarism is final and binding.
1.3 Third Party Intellectual Property Rights
Related to the concept of plagiarism, respect of third party intellectual property rights is essential to the Budding Value Investor Award. While teams are free to include text, images, graphics, or other logos in their written reports and presentations as permitted by these rules, it is the obligation of each team to ensure that the use of any third party materials complies with all applicable copyright and trademark laws. Third party images included in any written report or presentation must be appropriately licensed from the images’ owners. Where legally necessary, teams should secure the permission of the owners of any trademarks or service marks incorporated into their written report or presentation. By participating in any level of the Budding Value Investor Award, each team represents and warrants that neither its written report nor its presentation infringes or violates the copyright, trademark, trade secret or other intellectual property right of any third party anywhere in the world. You agree and acknowledge that you indemnify Capital Dynamics from any assertion of the same from any third party.
1.4 Participant Information
By participating in the Budding Value Investor Award, each participant acknowledges that Capital Dynamics collects, processes, and shares personal information of participants in the Budding Value Investor Award. While Capital Dynamics is committed on maintaining the confidentiality of your personal information in accordance to the Personal Data Protection Act 2010, each participant agrees that Capital Dynamics and its affiliates, shall have the right to use such individual’s name, voice, photograph, likeness, their appearance in any medium or forum anywhere in the world (including online) without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
Materials submitted for the competition will be absorbed as the property of Capital Dynamics and may be retained, reproduced and/or used for exhibition, publication and promotion purposes. Capital Dynamics reserves the right in its retention of ownership of all competition materials to utilize submissions in any exhibition, publication or promotional endeavour and without compensation to the participants.
RULE 2: TEAMS
2.1 Team Composition
- Shall consist of undergraduate students from the universities as defined below;
- Shall consist a maximum of 3 members (individual or groups of two- three) in a team;
- Can have no alternates/replacements of a member. Please note that amendments to the team members can only be done before the submission date, 17 March 2019. Any amendments after the submission date will not be taken into account. Kindly email us at email@example.com for any amendments.
An undergraduate student is defined as a university student who has not yet received a first degree. For students who are currently taking their professional papers, he/she must not have received a first degree before, must be a full-time student enrolled at a recognised university.
A University is defined as a degree-granting institution that primarily delivers teaching to students in a traditional educational setting, such as a classroom, excluding online courses. Capital Dynamics may, at its sole discretion, grant exceptions to this rule on a case-by-case basis.
2.2 Team Member Requirements
Each team member must:
- be an enrolled undergraduate student.
- accept the terms of the Participation Rules upon registration.
RULE 3: WRITTEN REPORTS & PRESENTATIONS
3.1 Written Reports
Each team must prepare a 1000-word written essay (Part 1) and a 3500-word research report, excluding Appendix (Part 2).
The written report must:
- conform to the guidelines set forth in written report guidelines
- be submitted by 12am (Malaysia time), 17 March 2019.
- be written in the English language;
- contain only publicly available information;
- be the original work of the team members;
- be properly cited using the same citation system throughout;
Hosts may impose penalties for late submissions. Penalties may include, but are not limited to, point deductions or disqualification from the competition. The decision to impose penalties and the extent of those penalties is at the discretion of the host.
Email a PDF version of your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org
Capital Dynamics will announce the shortlisted teams for the second stage of the competition on 1 April 2019. Shortlisted teams are required to convert their submission for the first stage into a presentation format and send their presentation slides to email@example.com by 5 April 2019. No other changes to the content can be made thereafter.
Shortlisted teams must submit their presentations in Microsoft PowerPoint or as an Adobe PDF file. Capital Dynamics cannot guarantee technical support for presentations.
- The shortlisted teams may not hand the judges any printed materials before or after the presentations, but the host can print out the presentation slides for each team and distribute them to the judges before the event.
- The shortlisted teams are not allowed to use props in their presentation.
- All team members of the shortlisted teams must participate in the presentation. Subject to the limitations of these rules, the teams are free to structure their presentations as they wish. However, presentations must be in the English language.
- Each presentation will be timed. Time allocated for each presentation is 15 minutes. A timekeeper will be assigned to keep track of the time for each team. Timekeeper will stop the team once 15 minutes is up.
- There will be a Question & Answer (Q&A) session after the presentations. The format of the Q&A will be communicated later with the shortlisted candidates.
- During the presentation, the shortlisted teams shall avoid any statements which might be construed as slanderous, obscene, embarrassing, or containing offensive gender, cultural, racial stereotypes or any other remarks unsuitable for a public presentation.
- Any preparation for the presentation shall be the responsibility of the shortlisted teams and Capital Dynamics shall not be expected to interfere in the preparation.
Prop is defined as an object used by students to enhance or illustrate an aspect of the team presentation.
RULE 4: JUDGES & PRIZES
- Capital Dynamics shall have the sole and exclusive discretion in the selection of judges for the competition. Capital Dynamics reserves the right to substitute or modify the judging panel at any time and for any reason.
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into by the judges in relation to that decision. Any dispute to the decision on final winners shall not be entertained.
- The winners of the Budding Value Investor Award will be selected by a panel of judges.
- The prizes for the Budding Value Investor Award include cash prizes of USD 7,500 (1st prize), USD 5,000 (2nd prize) and USD 2,500 (3rd prize), paid internship with Capital Dynamics for three (3) months. Subject to the absolute discretion of Capital Dynamics, the opportunity for the internship may not apply to all three (3) participants in the winning team.
- The decisions of the panel judges are final and binding.
RULE 5: TRAVEL & ACCOMODATIONS
5.1 Travel and Accommodations for Teams
All travel and accommodations for the shortlisted teams related to the second stage of the competition will be arranged and paid for by Capital Dynamics. This only applies to international students and students based beyond Klang Valley/ Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Capital Dynamics will cover roundtrip economy airfare for the shortlisted teams.
- Capital Dynamics covers only the lowest-cost roundtrip option that takes travellers from their departure city to the competition location and back. If travellers decide to extend their stay, choose different layovers, etc., Capital Dynamics will pay only for the lowest-cost roundtrip option. Extra costs will be incurred by the travellers.
- Capital Dynamics will not pay for taxis, rental cars, visa application fees, food and beverage (not provided at a Capital Dynamics –sponsored function), baggage fees, and any other fees or expenses not specifically mentioned previously.
- The shortlisted teams may make alternative flight and lodging arrangements at their own expense.
- The shortlisted teams are responsible for having valid passports, any visas that may be required to travel, and any vaccinations or inoculations that may be required. Expenses for obtaining any necessary visas, vaccinations or inoculations are the responsibility of the teams.
- Travel is not assignable or transferable and may not be redeemed for cash. No substitutions are allowed by the shortlisted teams.
- Details of accommodation will be communicated to the shortlisted teams. A team member from one group may be arranged to occupy a room with one from another team. All rooms’ arrangement is subject to the decision of Capital Dynamics and shall be complied by all shortlisted teams. Any change to the arrangement is not allowed unless stated otherwise.